Tuesday, December 10, 2013:
· Lunch: Pizza, Pancakes & Sausage, Deli Sandwich, Chicken Caesar Salad, Carrots, Tossed Salad, Veggies & Dip, Cupped Fruit, Fresh Fruit, Milk
· FFA members interested in participating the B&B Horse Judging contest at VT on Feb 14th and 15th need to sign up in the AG department before Christmas.
· FFA members interested in participating in the HUB Crops Judging contest on Feb 4th need to sign up in the AG department before Christmas.
· FBLA is having a Christmas meeting on Tuesday, December 10, at 3:30 p.m. in Room 302. All FBLA members may come to the meeting. All members need to bring a $5.00 gift for our gift game. Also, please sign up with a business teacher to bring a food. Your parents need to pick you up no later than 5:00.
· “SANTA! OH MY GOD! SANTA'S COMING! I KNOW HIM! I KNOW HIM!”—Buddy, the elf Next Friday night after the Girls Blue-Out Basketball game the SCA will be showing a free movie in the Auditorium. Popcorn and drinks will be for sale, and donations will be accepted. The movie will be open to the public, but anyone under 9th grade is asked to have adult supervision. You will need to be picked up at 10:00. All proceeds will go to Cystic Fibrosis. “The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear.”—Buddy, the elf
· NHS members are reminded of the general meeting today, right after school in the library. Please bring art supplies as we will be making Christmas cards.
· The Spanish Club is sponsoring a fundraiser to help the victims of tornadoes in the USA and the Typhoon in the Philippines, any monetary donations are welcome, as well as bottle water, questions or donations please see Mrs. Donghia 322A.
· ‘Tis the season for giving! The FFA is sponsoring its annual “Holes for Hope” Charity Cornhole Tournament in the cafeteria during all three lunches on Wednesday and Thursday. Each student may purchase a throw for a quarter or 5 throws for one dollar. All of the proceeds will help three local children have presents for Christmas. Help us reach our school goal of $200! Participants will win a wide variety of prizes!
· FFA members should see an FFA advisor to get a permission slip for the FFA Holiday Party on Wednesday, December 18th, 2013. The party is after school in the ag shop and will last until 5:30PM. Each participant must return a permission slip and bring a $5 wrapped gift for the dirty Santa gift exchange.
· The Guidance Department will host a Financial Aid Workshop on Thursday, December 12, 2014 at 6:00 p.m. in the ACHS library. Deborah Bennett, Administrative Assistant in the Financial Aid office at Lynchburg College will be the guest speaker. She will be giving tips on how to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Form.
· Students who are writing an essay for the Lee-Jackson scholarship must submit their first draft to Mrs. Johnson by December 18th.
· The Building Leaders for Advancing Science and Technology (BLAST) program will offer an exciting, on-campus, summer experience designed to increase student interest and curiosity in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). BLAST will provide a residential opportunity to current 8th and 9th grade students in the summer of 2014 at no cost to selected students. The students must have at least a B or C+ grade average, be a Virginia resident and a U.S. Citizen, and be interested in STEM. Acceptance to BLAST is based on grades, teacher recommendation, and essay. To get more information and online application go to, blast.spacegrant.org Application deadline is February 1, 2014, See Mrs. Ramey, Guidance Department for additional information.
· ENGINEER GIRL Organization. There is an essay contest sponsored by EngineerGirl (National Academy of Engineering). Go to http://www.engineergirl.org/17382.aspx for more information. The deadline for submittal of the essay is March 1, 2014.
· Ron Brown Scholars Program – awards scholarships to academically talented, highly motivated African American students who are currently seniors in high school and plan to pursue undergraduate degrees full-time. Financially needy students receive preference; however, high emphasis is placed upon academic achievement and community service. Most recipients are among the top ten percent of their high school class and are involved in volunteer efforts. Go to their website at www.ronbrown.org to download an application. The application deadline is January 9th.
· The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange Scholarship is a high school student exchange program fully funded by the U.S. Congress and the German Bundestag (Parliament). Each year, CIEE administers 50 scholarships for American high school students to live and study in Germany on a one-year full scholarship. Interested students can visit www.ciee.org/cb for more information and to apply online. Student applications must be submitted by December 20, 2013. Students can also visit Miss Valladao in Guidance to take a look at a brochure about the program.
· The EDU, Inc. Common Black College Application allows students to apply to 34 Member Institutions for a one-time fee of $35.00. (Virginia colleges who are members are Norfolk State University, Virginia State University and Virginia Union University). Use the on-line application form located at www.eduinconline.com.
· For those students who are interested in pursuing Cosmetology as a Career after graduating from high school will have an opportunity to hear a presentation from a Representative from Sylvain Melloul International Hair Academy of Lynchburg, VA,(school is located in the Mall) on Thursday, December 19, 2013 during your lunch period. You can bring a box lunch from the cafeteria to attend this Presentation which will be held in the Conference Room across from Guidance Department. Sign up with Mrs. Watson in the Guidance Department.
· CVCC and area high schools are creating a unique opportunity for rising seniors (current juniors) who are interested in getting a head start on their career in the fields of Registered Nurse, EMT, HVAC, Welding or Machinist. There will be an information meeting for students and parents on Thursday, December 12, 6 pm at CVCC in Lynchburg (Merritt Hall, Room 5122). To learn more about this exciting new opportunity, please see Mrs. Richardson in the School Counseling Office and/or pick up an informational sheet in the Main Office.