Friday, April 25, 2014:
· Lunch: Soft Tacos (2), Grilled Cheese, Deli Sandwich, Chicken Caesar Salad, Vegetable Soup, Tossed Salad, Veggies & Dip, Cupped Fruit, Fresh Fruit, and Milk
· All seniors going on the senior trip need to turn in their permission slips and must ride the bus to Kings Dominion. If you have any questions, please see Mrs. Wilhoit or Mrs. Osborne this week.
· FFA Officer Applications are on the FFA bulletin board. Please pick one up today.
· FFA degree applications are due today by 3:30. Pick up your greenhand and chapter degree applications today.
· FFA members interested in signing up to speak at the FFA banquet should sign up in the Ag department.
· Sign-up for the senior picnic Wednesday 4/23/14 through Friday 5/2/14. Students can either sign up with Mrs. Osborne or Mrs. Wilhoit. There is no charge for the picnic. Students going on the picnic have to sign up with Mrs. Osborne or Mrs. Wilhoit, and must ride the bus. The picnic is on Friday 5/23/14. No students will be allowed to sign up after May 2nd. A permission slip must be signed and returned before the day of the picnic.
· ACHS Blood Drive will be on Friday, May 2nd in room 310. Please sign up at lunch, you will need a photo ID to sign up. Sixteen year old student can sign up with parental consent. No one under the age of 16 will be admitted to the drive. You must weigh at least 110 lbs. Please eat and drink nutritiously the week before the drive.
· SODA applications are due to Mrs. Voorhees in room 103 by April 30th. All potential SODA Partners, returning and new, must fill out an application! See Mrs. Voorhees for applications and concerns.
· If you are preparing to take the SAT or ACT test this Spring, the Counseling office has several study guide books available for check out. Please see your school counselor.”
· Rising Juniors and Seniors: Are you interested in a Pre-College program that will help prepare you for both academic and residential aspects of college? If so, please see your counselor to learn more about the Emory University pre-college program. (Emory University is located in Atlanta, GA and the typical cost of attending this type of program is between $2,500 and $9,600 for the summer, excluding cost of travel).
· Any junior who is interested in serving on the Youth Philanthropy Committee sponsored by The Greater Lynchburg Community Trust should see Mrs. Hall by April 25th.
· The Appomattox Railroad Festival is offering a scholarship to a senior who has volunteer and community service experience. See Mrs. Hall for the application and essay topic. The deadline to apply is April 30, 2014.
· If you will be attending a Virginia College or University and will be majoring in Criminal Justice (not law) you may apply for the Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute Scholarship. Two types of scholarships will be awarded; one to full-time students and one to part-time students. The deadline for applying is May 1, 2014. Applications may be picked up in the Guidance Office or found on-line at www.vasheriffsinstitute.org.
· If you plan to attend Virginia State University please see Mrs. Hall for an application for a $500 scholarship offered by the Central Virginia Alumni Chapter. The deadline to apply is May 1, 2014.
· The Monroe Masonic Lodge #301 will award a $1,000 scholarship based on financial need and scholarship. See Mrs. Hall for an application. The deadline to apply is May 15, 2014.
· The creators of the “Student Award Search Aid” website are offering the B. Davis Scholarship in the amount of $1,000 for 2014. Information and the application for this scholarship can be found at their website at http://www.studentawardsearch.com/scholarships.htm . The deadline for applications is May 26, 2014.
· The Appomattox County Assembly, Inc. is offering the R.Q. Lawing Book Award Scholarship in the amount of $200 per year for four years to an eligible student based on the following: GPA of 2.0 or higher, resident of Appomattox County, demonstrate financial need and submit application with essay stating “Why I Want to Further My Education.” The deadline to apply is May 9, 2014. See Mrs. Hall for application.
· The AREVA Chapter of Women in Nuclear (WIN-AREVA) will grant two (2) one time scholarships in the amount of $1,000 each to students who portray determination, academic excellence and in interest in nuclear technologies career path. You must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher. Applications must be received by April 28th. See Mrs. Hall for application.
· If you have a parent/guardian who has been an active employee in public school transportation during the past five years you could be eligible for the Buster Bynam Scholarship. The deadline to apply is May 30, 2014. See Mrs. Hall for more information.
· Delta Sigma Theta Sorority is offering two $1,000 scholarships for collegiate assistance to two deserving graduation seniors. The primary determining criteria will be based on academic achievement and financial need. The deadline to apply is April 30, 2014. Applications are available from Mrs. Hall.
· The Mary E. Tolley Scholarship is a $100 scholarship (non-renewable) given to a senior athlete from Appomattox County High School. Selection is based on participation in athletics, grades, and financial need. The deadline to apply is April 29, 2014. Applications available from Mrs. Hall.
· The Scholarship Committee of the Exchange Club of Lynchburg is accepting applications for their 2014 Terrell D. Moseley Scholarship Award. This one-time $1,000 award is based on scholastic achievement and financial need. Applications must be submitted to Mrs. Hall by April 30, 2014. See Mrs. Hall if you would like a copy of this application.
· The Society of the Cincinnati is sponsoring an essay contest for any Virginia high school senior who will attend any four-year college or university in the Commonwealth of Virginia beginning in the fall of 2014. The essay topic this year is The Virginia Declaration of Rights. If you are interested in this contest please see Mrs. Hall. The deadline to submit the essay is May 16, 2014.
· The ladies of Gamma Iota Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. are offering an annual scholarship opportunity to deserving young ladies based on academic achievement and community services. The deadline for the scholarship application is April 30, 2014. See Mrs. Hall for application.
· If you have a parent or grandparent either currently employed or formerly employed in the public school pupil transportation field in the Commonwealth of Virginia you could be eligible for the Clyde W. Morris Memorial Scholarship. The deadline to apply is April 30, 2014. See Mrs. Hall for more information.
· The Carver –Price Alumni Association is offering a scholarship to a graduating senior with financial need. If you receive the scholarship you must agree to serve 12 hours of community service at the Carver-Price Legacy Museum between June 1st and August 1st. The deadline for applications is May 8th.
· The Epsilon Kappa Zeta Chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority offers a scholarship each year to a deserving African American high school senior based on academic achievement, community service and acceptance to a four year college. The deadline for applications is May 9th.