Friday, April 11, 2014:
· Lunch: Bacon Cheddar burger on Bun, Tuna Melt, Deli Sandwich, Chinese Salad, Fries, Tossed Salad, Veggies & Dip, Cupped Fruit, Fresh Fruit, and Milk
· ATTENTION JUNIORS AND SENIORS WHO ARE GOING TO PROM: Don't forget that prom tickets are now on sale for $45 during all lunch shifts and after school in room 322. After spring break, tickets will increase to $55 each, so get them now!
· Any FFA member interested in helping with Little Farmers’ Day on April 24 should sign up and get a permission slip as soon as possible. Seats are limited!
· Any guy who wants to be a contestant in the Mz. Relay Pageant (woman-less beauty pageant) needs to see Mrs. Rothgeb ASAP for an application.
· If you are preparing to take the SAT or ACT test this Spring, the Counseling office has several study guide books available for check out. Please see your school counselor.
· The ladies of Gamma Iota Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. are offering an annual scholarship opportunity to deserving young ladies based on academic achievement and community services. The deadline for the scholarship application is April 30, 2014.
· If you have a GPA of 3.5 or higher and plan to pursue a health-related course of study after high school you are eligible to apply for the Barnard Family Health & Wellness Scholarship. Check your email for the application or see Mrs. Hall for a copy. The deadline to apply is April 30th.
· Shentel is offering a $1000 Scholarship (one time award) to a high school senior who is furthering their education in technology and has financial need. Applications must be turned in to Mrs. Hall by April 25, 2014.
· Virginia Foundation for Community College Education Scholarships - Each year the Virginia Foundation for Community College Education recognizes outstanding students of all ages and backgrounds through its statewide scholarship program. Students have the opportunity to apply for scholarships ranging from $500 to $10,000. The application period for the 2014-15 school year is open. Please spread the word and visit the website: http://www.vccs.edu/giving/scholarships/ Any junior who is interested in serving on the Youth Philanthropy Committee sponsored by The Greater Lynchburg Community Trust should see Mrs. Hall by April 25th.
· Rising Juniors and Seniors: Are you interested in a Pre-College program that will help prepare you for both academic and residential aspects of college? If so, please see your counselor to learn more about the Emory University pre-college program. (Emory University is located in Atlanta, GA and the typical cost of attending this type of program is between $2,500 and $9,600 for the summer, excluding cost of travel).
· CENTRA Health Career Camp 2014 - When: June 16 – June 20; For: Rising JUNIORS interested in exploring Healthcare Careers. Students have an opportunity to explore the various facets for Healthcare by participating in hands-on activities developed by healthcare professionals at CENTRA, while visiting and observing various departments and careers of interest. Applications to participate are due April 18, 2014. For more information and to submit an application for this event, please visit: http://accessfuture.centrahealth.com/ or see Mrs. Ramey for further information through Guidance Department.
· Liberty University invites all 2014 graduating seniors to its Math Success Camp this summer. Many seniors fulfill their math requirements by the end of their junior year and do not take a math course during their senior year. Frequently math skills are weakened when not used for a long period of time. This course is designed to strengthen and refresh those math skills, preparing students to succeed in college-level courses. The program cost of $399 includes all materials, and students who demonstrate proficiency on the end-of-camp test may bypass Liberty University’s MATH 100 or MATH 110. The three-week course runs July 7-25, Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to noon. Space is limited to the first 24 students who register. Register at www.Liberty.edu/MathSuccessCamp.
· The AREVA Chapter of Women in Nuclear (WIN) will be granting two scholarships in the amount of $1,000 each to students who portray determination, academic excellence and an interest in a nuclear technologies career path. Our goal is to help this student maintain a positive attitude towards a career in the nuclear industry or a related field. The qualifications for this scholarship are as follows:
· Must be a graduating high school senior in May/June current year
· Must be applying to a two-year or four-year college or university
· Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a scale of 4.0) or higher